Officials have confirmed that there was an attack on a corrections officer at the Southern Regional Jail. According to a release from the West Virginia Department of Military Affairs and Public Safety (WVDMAPS) Inmate Jonathan Jackson is facing a malicious wounding charge. The attack happened late on Tuesday, Jan. 2, 2018.
The officers, who has not been identified, is recovering. DMAPS Secretary Jeff Sandy and Regional Jail Director David Farmer have contacted the officer to check on his condition. Director Farmer also visited the facility personally to check on the staff and the conditions.
This comes just a less than a week since Gov. Jim Justice (R-WV) declared a state of emergency in connection with the state's correctional facilities.
- Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Mom claims she was injured by school administrator when she pulled knife on son's alleged bullies
- Saudi corruption sweep to move to trial with 95 detained
- Children in California captivity case to be split up in foster care
- Russia accuses US of trying to derail Syria peace initiative