Boston bombings suspect - Does our local law enforcement get inv - Beckley, Bluefield & Lewisburg News, Weather, Sports

Boston bombings suspect - Does our local law enforcement get involved?

Posted: Updated:

With one suspect still at large, 59 News wanted to know how our local law enforcement here in Southern West Virginia findS fugitives, even the bombing suspect.

Yesterday the FBI thought one of the suspects had hopped on a train to escape. Although that assumption turned false, that got our 59 News crews thinking..

What role do our local law enforcement play in capturing wanted suspects?

"We get "bolo's" through the FBI and State Police. Those come from the 911 center through messages. We get information the public doesn't see. Through "bolo's" and websites that we are connected with that we get information from," said Fayette County Sheriff Kessler.

Sheriff Kessler explained that a bolo simply stands for "be on the look out."

"The message is to be on the lookout for an individual or suspect, could be in this type of vehicle, going here, maybe traveling on a train, maybe even coming to West Virginia," Sheriff Kessler said.

From Boston, an Amtrack train comes right through Thurmond, West Virginia. But Southern West Virginia law enforcement also stays busy tracking down their own local suspects.

"Somebody here we have warrants for. If we get information that they are in Greenbrier County, then we make a phone call to the Greenbrier County Sheriff or State Police and say we are looking for these people, we have warrants, we have the information, if you see them this is where they may be going to," said the Sheriff.

Beckley Police Sgt. Bailey explains all the different ways they'd go to get all the information needed to find a suspected criminal on the loose and get a warrant for their arrest.

"We go to family members, places of employment, any and all friends they have, the college campus they attend. We'd go anywhere," said Sgt. Bailey.

If anyone has information on wanted criminally locally, you're asked to call 911 or your local sheriff's department.