Several weeks ago Kimberly Parsons was so sick her parents started discussing funeral arrangements. A staph infection lead to septic shock. Both of her hands and feet were amputated as doctors worked to save her life. Parsons is now out of the hospital and excited about the next chapter in her life at her parents' home in St. Albans, WV.
(ORIGINAL STORY: Putnam County, WV woman loses limbs to staph infection, shares story)
Her smile and positive attitude light up the family's living room.
"My daughter is constantly fighting with my mom to see who pushes me. So they are really happy that I am home," Parsons said with a giggle.
When she arrived home from the hospital she couldn't wait to respond to the hundreds of messages from people on Facebook who have been supporting her during her recovery.
"Everybody has really showed me a different side of the way people should be," Parsons said.
Now she is looking forward to getting fitted for prosthetic limbs. She has an appointment November 4.
"I have to keep up with my kids," she laughed. "Once I get my prosthetics and I am able to move around with my kids it will be good."
She said the ordeal has taught her to slow down and savor life.
"Don't take life for granted. I want to appreciate my kids more. And forget the stresses of life," Parsons said. "I want to spend time with my kids and see how dirty we can get."
Kimberly's dad Jeff Holmes is a paramedic with the Kanawha County Emergency Ambulance Authority and has been a firefighter in the St. Albans area. So when Terry White with the Lakewood Volunteer Fire Department heard what was going on with Parsons, he decided to collect money to help cover the extremely expensive cost of prosthetic limbs. The department collected $300 and is challenging other departments to do the same.
"The first time I walked in there I was almost in tears, just because her smiles and her attitude," White said. "You just can't believe what this young lady has been through and her attitude being the way it is."
White said first responders consider one another family so it seemed like a natural thing to do.
If any fire departments would like to accept the challenge they can call Terry White. The number is 304-415-6263.
Kimberly wants to help spread the word about staph infections and the dangers of Sepsis. For more information follow the link provided.