Poca High School student writing a bright future - Beckley, Bluefield & Lewisburg News, Weather, Sports

Poca High School student writing a bright future

Posted: Updated:
Poca student Josh Higginbotham just launched his second published book, “Fading Notion, Truth is Stranger than Fiction.” Poca student Josh Higginbotham just launched his second published book, “Fading Notion, Truth is Stranger than Fiction.”
  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

Several arrested after city-wide drug sweep in Greenbrier County

Several arrested after city-wide drug sweep in Greenbrier County

Sunday, April 20 2014 8:10 PM EDT2014-04-21 00:10:53 GMT
    Four men are arrested after a city-wide drug sweep in Greenbrier County.On Thursday, April 17 officers with Alderson Police Department along with the Greenbrier County Sheriff's Department and the West Virginia State Police made three felony arrests and one misdemeanor arrest on drug charges.Jeremy Lewis is charged with delivery of a controlled substance (marijuana) , possession with intent to deliver, and conspiracy to commit a felony.Ronald Cook Jr. is charged with two counts of delivery of...

One man shot early Saturday morning in Beckley

Sunday, April 20 2014 5:36 PM EDT2014-04-20 21:36:35 GMT
         One man is in custody Saturday after a bar shooting in Raleigh County.
         One man is in custody Saturday after a bar shooting in Raleigh County.

Correctional officers and inmates indicted in plot to kill another inmate

Correctional officers and inmates indicted in plot to kill another inmate

Sunday, April 20 2014 5:34 PM EDT2014-04-20 21:34:24 GMT
    WV State Regional Jail Authority Director, Joe DeLong, confirmed that four correctional officers and four other inmates are now charged after they plotted to kill another inmate.
  • EducationMore>>

WVU Distinguished Speaker Series adds guest

Sunday, April 20 2014 11:00 AM EDT2014-04-20 15:00:12 GMT
    The Distinguished Speaker Series at West Virginia University's College of Business & Economics has landed a fourth, unanticipated guest — Joao Vale de Almeida.

University of Charleston students take time to give back

Sunday, April 20 2014 8:00 AM EDT2014-04-20 12:00:16 GMT
    At the University of Charleston, Enactus team members Sa Le, Adam DeBriae, Marc Jn-louis, Jordan Wallace and Rhys Batt do much more than merely keep up with their course loads.

Strengthening public education

Saturday, April 19 2014 1:00 PM EDT2014-04-19 17:00:17 GMT
    The Education Alliance has scheduled the first in a series of discussions about strengthening public education.
  • BusinessBusinessMore>>

Jam-band magazine celebrates 2-year anniversary

Sunday, April 20 2014 4:00 PM EDT2014-04-20 20:00:13 GMT
    Appalachian Jamwich, a Shepherdstown-based magazine dedicated to jam-band music, art and culture in West Virginia and the surrounding region, is celebrating its two-year anniversary this month.
    Appalachian Jamwich, a Shepherdstown-based print and online magazine dedicated to jam-band music, art and culture in West Virginia and the surrounding region, is celebrating its two-year anniversary this month.

City-wide scavenger hunt in Wheeling

Sunday, April 20 2014 2:00 PM EDT2014-04-20 18:00:09 GMT
    A new fundraising event in the Upper Ohio Valley to raise funds for Youth Services System is in the works for June 21 in downtown Wheeling.

Barboursville plans to grow its recreation opportunities

Sunday, April 20 2014 1:00 PM EDT2014-04-20 17:00:13 GMT
    Commercial growth in Barboursville has allowed for improved services, and now village officials plan to build on the village's role in recreational opportunities in the region.

A 17-year-old senior at Poca High School, Josh Higginbotham also is president of the state's DECA chapter.

"DECA prepares emerging leaders and entrepreneurs for careers in marketing, finance, hospitality and management in high schools and colleges around the globe," the mission of the organization reads.

It's no wonder Higginbotham was tapped to head up the state chapter.

He is an ideal example of an emerging leader.

"I visit a lot of different schools and colleges throughout the state (with DECA)," he explained. "I speak in classes and seminars about DECA and about entrepreneurship.

"I think I'm going to be a living example of what DECA stands for. Anything is possible, if you put your mind to it."

Higginbotham has already embarked on a promising career as a writer. He had his second book published this fall, titled "Fading Notion: Truth is Stranger than Fiction." His first book was titled "Jeremiah's America: The Calling."

"My grandfather was a poet — he really loved poetry, and it descended through my parents to me," Higginbotham reasoned. "Writing is not only a way that I can express myself, but give messages to people, messages that they really do need.

"I jumped in (writing) as soon as I can. I don't think you have to wait for life. It can happen at any age."

"I am hoping that a lot of people's lives can be touched," he added. "That is more important than money or any publicity. I just want to touch a life through this work, that's what's most important to me."

The response to Higginbotham's literary work has been positive.

"So far, I have received some calls from politicians and business people saying that they're really proud that I'm doing this, that I'm being an example for these kids," he said. "I want to be an encouragement for kids."

The book, published through Westbow Press, a division of the Thomas Nelson Company in New York, is available online for order in print or an eReader edition. It also is available through bookstores.

At his book launch last month, Higginbotham quoted I Timothy 4:12 — "Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity."

"I've tried to live to that creed for the entirety of my life," he shared with a crowd of well-wishers in Poca High School's library during his book launch. "I want everyone to know that anybody, no matter what age, can succeed. It can happen as long as you work hard and study hard."

Higginbotham also announced he is donating 10 percent of his earnings from the book.

"I'm starting an initiative to team up with organizations that help feed, clothe and house the impoverished," he said. "And to help teach youth that they are somebody and they can make it if they try. We're going to help people that are in need the most. And we're going to give a scholarship to a student.

"If you've read ‘Fading Notion,' you understand that it takes one to start, but it takes many to finish. Let us all start a revolution together."

Upon his high school graduation this spring, Higginbotham has several options he is weighing.

"I am considering staying local and going to the University of Charleston," he said. "But I'm also interested in the Ivy League schools — maybe writing at Harvard or Yale. I just want the best education that I can get.

"I'm planning on having a good writing career. I like politics and preaching. I do a little bit of both. I'm the precinct captain of the Republican Party in our region. I organize volunteering. I like to organize and help lead people to a greater good, whether it's through charities or fundraisers. I love helping people."

He isn't shelving any plans for more books, either.

"I have two more books planned that I hope to have published next summer, for next Christmas," Higginbotham said.