Former firefighters home in Coal City catches fire - Beckley, Bluefield & Lewisburg News, Weather, Sports

Former firefighters home in Coal City catches fire

Posted: Updated:
Former firefighter said a lit cigarette caught the drapes of her home on fire. Former firefighter said a lit cigarette caught the drapes of her home on fire.
  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Beckley Motor Speedway holds open practice

    Beckley Motor Speedway holds open practice

    Beckley Motor Speedway holds open practice

    Sunday, April 20 2014 9:30 AM EDT2014-04-20 13:30:13 GMT
    Today the Beckley Motor Speedway held an open practice for any racer who wanted to test out the track.
    Today the Beckley Motor Speedway held an open practice for any racer who wanted to test out the track.
  • One man shot early Saturday morning in Beckley

    One man shot early Saturday morning in Beckley

    Sunday, April 20 2014 5:43 AM EDT2014-04-20 09:43:44 GMT
         One man is in custody Saturday after a bar shooting in Raleigh County.
         One man is in custody Saturday after a bar shooting in Raleigh County.
  • Crews fight house fire in Fayette County for several hours Saturday

    Crews fight house fire in Fayette County for several hours Saturday

    Saturday, April 19 2014 11:24 PM EDT2014-04-20 03:24:33 GMT
    Crews fought a house fire in Fayette County Saturday evening for several hours. 911 Dispatchers said the call came in of a house fire on Paint Creek Road near Pax around 6:30 p.m. Pax Fire Department and Bradley-Prosperity Fire Department responded along with several other crews. We're told no one was inside the home when the fire happened.
    Crews fought a house fire in Fayette County Saturday evening for several hours. 911 Dispatchers said the call came in of a house fire on Paint Creek Road near Pax around 6:30 p.m. Pax Fire Department and Bradley-Prosperity Fire Department responded along with several other crews. We're told no one was inside the home when the fire happened.
COAL CITY -

A fire reported in Coal City on Thursday was put out quickly, and the cause of the fire may have been a lit cigarette.

Raleigh County Emergency Dispatchers say the call came in just before 1 p.m. on Thursday. Firefighters were called to the home of a former firefighter on Lynwinn Road in Coal City.
The homeowner said that a cigarette caught the drapes on fire.

Firefighters were able to put the blaze out quickly and save the home.  The homeowner said that it shows just how quickly fires can start and spread.