NEW DETAILS: Arrest made in Route 19 police chase


An accident in Hilltop on Monday, Aug. 14, 2017 leads to a police chase which ended in another accident.  It began at around 6:30 p.m. when Fayette County Sheriff’s Deputies were called to a four car accident at the intersection of Route 16 and Route 19.  Those who were involved told investigators that one car had left the scene driving South toward Glen Jean.

The car was spotted at the Glen Jean Exxon by a Mount Hope Police officer.  When deputies arrived at the Exxon, the car drove off heading North on Route 19.  Deputy A.B. Hudson said he knew the driver had a revoked driver’s license.  That led to a police chase which ended when the suspect hit another vehicle at the Appalachian Drive intersection in Fayetteville.  Firefighters had to cut the driver from the vehicle that was hit.  That person, who has not been identified, is in stable condition at Plateau Medical Center.

There were three people in the suspect vehicle.  Investigators said one of them had minor injuries, the other was not hurt.  The driver, Bryan Allen, 28, of Mount Hope was treated for minor injuries at Plateau Medical Center and released.  He is facing charges of DUI Causing Bodily Injury, Fleeing While DUI, Fleeing Causing Bodily Injury, Fleeing Causing Property Damage, Driving with a Suspended or Revoked License, Leaving the Scene of an Accident and Failure to Maintain Control.

“There is no excuse for this type of reckless and dangerous behavior,” said Sheriff Mike Fridley. “Allen clearly knew that he had been drinking and that his driver’s license was revoked at the time he was involved in the initial motor vehicle collision in Hilltop.  He certainly knew that he was in trouble and would be arrested, but instead of facing these initial potential charges, he chose to flee from the scene, causing another serious collision and needlessly endangering the lives of innocent motorists on U.S. Route 19 and the lives of the police officers attempting to stop him.”

Allen is set to be arraigned on Tuesday, Aug. 15, 2017.  If he fails to make bond, he will be taken to the Southern Regional Jail.  Deputies were assisted in the police chase by officers with the Oak Hill Police Department and West Virginia State Troopers.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories