GHENT, WV (WVNS) — Food prices are on the rise and Thanksgiving dinner is expected to be even more expensive than last year. If you or your family need a little extra help this Thanksgiving, the following are a list of places for Raleigh, Fayette, Mercer, and Greenbrier Counties where you can get a free Thanksgiving meal, or free food when you need it.
- The Salvation Army (312 S Fayette St, Beckley, WV 25801): A food bank that gives out food donations.
- Beckley Dream Center INC DBA Fishes and Loaves (224 Pinewood Dr, Beckley, WV 25801): Free Thanksgiving dinner.
- Carpenter’s Corner (102 Prince St, Beckley, WV 25801): A “no questions asked” soup kitchen that provides free lunches from 11:00AM to 1:00PM, normally every day of the week. On Fridays, extra food is sometimes handed out to those in need.
- Lewis Christian Community Center (469 Central Avenue, Oak Hill)
- Town of Pax (gym) (37 School Street, Pax)
- Smithers GATEWAY Center (2 Greyhound Way, Smithers)
- SALS Raines Building (1 mile south of Kincaid Post Office on Route 61)
- SALS Community Center (1862 Beards Fork Road, Beards Fork)
- SALS Regina Three Rivers Apartments (194 Scrabble Creek Road, Gauley Bridge)
- Mount Hope Community Center (518 Main Street, Mount Hope)
- Midland Trail Community Center (118 Church Street, Ansted)
These community Thanksgiving meals will be held on Thanksgiving Day, November 24, 2022. Meals will be available for pick-up at one of the above following locations and must be picked up between 11:00 A.M. and 12:30 P.M.
All meals must be requested no later than October 31, 2022 (meal requests will not be accepted after that time). Meals can be requested by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (304) 741-9123. Please leave a message with your name, phone number,
number of meals requested, and pick-up location from the list above.
- Open Heart Ministries’ Community Resource Center (206 Thomas Street, Bluefield, WV 24701): Free Thanksgiving dinner from 12:00PM until 6:00PM.
- Bluefield Union Mission (2203 Bluefield Ave #2508, Bluefield, WV 24701): A two day event where on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, food bags are distributed with all the Thanksgiving trimmings. On Thanksgiving Day, a hot Thanksgiving meal with all the trimmings is offered from 11:00AM to 2:00PM.
- Trinity United Methodist Church (373 Pocahontas Ave, Ronceverte, WV 24970): In emergency cases, they will give out food donations.
- Blue Ribbon Center at the State Fair West Virginia Fairgrounds (947 Maplewood Ave, Lewisburg, WV 24901): A “no questions asked,” full home cooked Thanksgiving dinner on Thanksgiving Day, which goes on from 12:00 P.M. to 4:00 P.M. (call to check for more information about the time) hosted “When Pigs Fly BBQ” and “Piggyback Donuts.” Their sponsors and other businesses, and community members involved also donate food to the community.
- Ronceverte Food Pantry (behind the Clifford Armory): A food bank that gives out food donations, although there are limitations. Since the holidays are lining up on Saturdays, food distribution for the holidays will be on 1st and 3rd Saturday of each month, especially for Christmas. Thanksgiving will be adjusting to the Wednesday prior. The basic ingredients of a traditional Thanksgiving dinner will be given away along with the trimmings. Also a special Thanksgiving box for people who don’t have the means to cook is available as well. There are limitations meaning regulars have first priority, but if you’d like to be put on the list to receive any of these items, please call (304) 647-5482 and ask for Jewell Doering, the Acting Director for the Ronceverte Food Pantry. A small supply of personal care products such as tissues will be given away as well.
These services are free to the community, if you don’t know how to cook, have the means to cook, the energy to cook, or don’t want to be alone on Thanksgiving or during the holidays.
Stick with 59News for more information on free Thanksgiving meals and food donations in your area.