(Meredith/WFSB) – The parents of a Connecticut boy are warning others about button batteries in children’s toys after their son suffered a severe injury when he swallowed one.

Marisa Soto said the ordeal has been extremely difficult for her family, especially her 15-month-old son Cameron.

A few weeks before Christmas, the young boy was playing with his toys when his mother noticed something wrong.

“All of a sudden Cameron was playing and he just turned around and he looked in distress,” Soto said.

She and her husband, David, rushed Cameron to the emergency room. An X-ray revealed a button battery from one of his toys was lodged in his throat.

“He had damage to his esophagus, scarring, and it had paralyzed his vocal cords,” Soto said, adding that the swallowed battery also caused inflammation in his brain and heart.

After being transferred to Connecticut’s Children’s Medical Center, doctors removed the battery less than 24 hours after Cameron had ingested it.

Dr. Christopher Grindle, a pediatric EMT who treated Cameron, said button battery ingestion can cause damage in just 15 minutes and severe damage in two hours.

“It starts to create an electric current around and can cause a build-up of some chemicals that can erode through the tissues like I said in a matter of minutes,” said Grindle.

Doctors said the best way to protect your children is to be aware that these batteries are in many toys and other household items.

Make sure the batteries are secured by a screw to access them, and when you’re changing the battery, make sure to dispose of them properly.

In this case, Cameron was lucky. After undergoing four surgeries, he’s now on the road to recovery.

His mom and dad want to make sure no other parent had to endure what they have.

“Even if I can just help another person look out for all of these things so this doesn’t happen to another kid… because it’s devastating,” Soto said.

Doctors said Cameron’s prognosis is excellent. His trach should be taken out in the next year and he will regain the use of his vocal cords.

Copyright 2018 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved