UPDATE: Condition of victim in explosion at Judy’s in Beaver released

News

UPDATE: July 21, 2021 at 5:15 p.m. (WVNS) — The State Fire Marshal’s Office released more information on an explosion that happened in Beaver on Sunday.

According to a press release, a woman was taken to Cabell Huntington Hospital’s Burn Intensive Care Unit for treatment after the fire.

The cause of the explosion was a build up of natural gas, according to the State Fire Marshal. The investigation is ongoing; at this time foul play is not suspected.


BEAVER, WV (WVNS) — A natural gas leak in the sewer line along Beaver caused an explosion at Judy’s Lottery Parlor on Ritter Drive in Beaver Sunday, July 18, 2021.

“When crews arrived on scene they found that the building had in fact exploded and that there was fire inside the building as well as outside the building at the car right in front of the door,” said Will Davis, Public Information Officer for the Beaver Volunteer Fire Department.

Multiple law enforcement and first responder agencies responded to the scene Sunday evening. Davis estimates at least 50 people were there to control the scene. The explosion led to an evacuation of all businesses along Ritter Drive. First responders checked gas levels for businesses within the area to make sure there was no further risk for an explosion.

“O-2 levels were starting to rise which was good, that means other gasses were not as prevalent to cause a flashpoint where an explosion could happen,” said Davis.

The major section of Route 19 was allowed to reopen around 8 p.m. Sunday night. Surrounding businesses were allowed to open around 9 p.m.

One employee was transported to the hospital by Jan-Care, but their condition is unknown. First responders spent Sunday night and Monday morning checking the sewer line and evaluating any immediate risk. As of right now, there is no threat to public safety or health.

“I’ve been assured by the state Fire Marshal’s office that there is no threat to public safety right now, the oxygen levels are exactly where they should be what problems there were seem to be alleviated right now the public is just encouraged to go about their daily business,” said Davis.

If you smell or see gas, the best thing to do is to call 911 and let local first responders check the scene.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

West Virginia News

More West Virginia News

Virginia News

More Virginia News