West Virginia is expecting a lot of rain this week. In case of flooding, remember these tips:
- Listen to local radio, TV, or local alerting systems for current emergency information and instructions.
- Gather supplies in case you have to leave immediately or if services are cut off.
- If told to evacuate, do so immediately. Never drive around barricades. Local responders use them to safely direct traffic out of flooded areas.
- Go to the safe location that you have identified – as long as it is in an accessible location that is NOT impacted by the flood.
- Do not walk, swim, or drive through flood waters.Turn Around. Don’t Drown.Just six inches of fast-moving water can knock you down, and one foot of moving water can sweep your vehicle away.
- Stay off of bridges over fast-moving water.
- If your vehicle is trapped in rapidly moving water, stay inside. If water is rising inside the vehicle, seek refuge on the roof.
- If trapped in a building, go to its highest level. Do not climb into a closed attic/space. You may become trapped. Go on the roof only if necessary. Signal for help.