BECKLEY, WV (WVNS)— A federal inmate was sentenced to prison for escape. United States Attorney Mike Stuart announced Linda Avila was sentenced to four months in prison.
Avila told investigators she had walked out of Federal Prison Camp (EPC) on January 29, 2020. She was immediately captured a short distance from the prison grounds.
Avila was previously serving a twelve-year sentence for conspiracy to defraud the government and mail fraud. Her sentence for escape will run consecutively to her prior sentence.
“The only thing Avila accomplished by trying to escape, is extending her already lengthy stay at FPC Alderson,” said United States Attorney Mike Stuart.
- Lawmaker on George Floyd’s death: ‘We still live in a racist country’
- How Americans respond to death of George Floyd, protests, and how Trump has handled it
- Capitol Hill protesters call on lawmakers for action on policing
- Kids ask healthcare superheroes questions this weekend on ‘Coronavirus House Calls’
- ‘George Floyd latest in modern day lynchings’