PINEVILLE, WV (WVNS) — Two communities in Wyoming County are not observing trick-or-treating this year.
Both Pineville and Mullens will not observe the annual Halloween tradition this year. City leaders cited COVID-19 concerns and looking out for the safety of residents as the reasons for their decisions.
Mayor of Pineville Mike Kodak said many people were concerned about participating in this Halloween.
“We had a few citizens concern, especially the elderly, that if we had trick or treating they weren’t going to participate. And the council decided from there, given our current situation, we were not going to have a formal trick-or-treating,” Kodak explained.
City leaders told 59News they cannot stop people from trick-or-treating, but the tradition is not sanctioned by either community.
- Raleigh County BOE evaluates COVID-19 plans, procedures going into winter break
- One person dies in Raleigh County house fire
- Local ski resort gears up for upcoming season
- America’s growing debt crisis sparks concerns for future generations
- Local organization encourages people to donate on Giving Tuesday